Our Library serves the City of Adrian, which was incorporated in 1825, and was established in 1868. The History Room houses local history and genealogy resources. These resources include newspapers and census records on microfilm for the Adrian/Lenawee County area. Some materials for surrounding counties and around the state are also included in the collection. There is a limited amount of material dealing with genealogy from other parts of the country, primarily New England. We consider the most important parts of our collection to be our local documents, governmental proceedings, vital records, local history indexes and genealogies and our depository of the Daily Telegram and other county wide local newspapers which we carry back to 1850 and continue to receive in microfilm today.
History Room Technology Available
A digital microfilm machine which allows patrons to save to a flash drive, burn to CD or print information from our extensive microfilm collection.
A microfilm reader/printer and a reader which displays the entire page of a newspaper.
Federal Census 1830 - 1930
State Census 1845, 1884, 1894
Adrian Newspapers (published under a variety of titles) 1850-current
History and Genealogy Electronic Databases
HeritageQuest and Ancestry Library Edition are available in the library using our Wi-Fi service or when using the library’s computers or mobile devices attached to the library’s data drops. HeritageQuest is also available from home/work/school with authentication via your Adrian Public Library Card.
Request for History and Genealogy Research
Can't get to our library because you live too far away? If you have a question related to local history or genealogy please email the reference librarian at firstname.lastname@example.org , send us a letter to the address below, a fax to 517-265-8847, or call 517-265-2265. There is no charge for research but there is a fee for printing/copying and mailing research materials.
The Adrian Public Library traces its beginnings to the formation of the Ladies Library Association in 1868. In 1887 a movement was started to join the 5000 volumes of the school district library, located on the third floor of the high school, with the Ladies Library Association collection. The ladies offered to the School Board their books and a building worth $1,150. In exchange, they asked that the new library be located on the first floor. After much debate, the City Council voted to lease a room on the first floor of City Hall for library use. The library opened in City Hall on January 5, 1890. Miss Margaret Jewell was chosen to be the first paid librarian.
As the usage of the library grew, the need for space increased, and a grant of $27,500 was secured from Andrew Carnegie. The City Council added another $5,000 and a suitable building was constructed. The Carnegie Library was dedicated on February 5, 1909 and opened to the public.
In 1915, the library changed from a school district library to a city library with its own library commission. With the new city charter in 1957, the library became a department of the city and the commission was eliminated. The library continued to grow and change with Miss Agnes Jewell becoming librarian in 1933 and Miss Emma Sihler taking over the helm in 1951.
In 1972 Jule Fosbender took over as Director, and in 1976 the need for additional space had to be faced once again. The decision was made to purchase the closed J.C. Penney store on East Maumee Street using invested funds. On June 12, 1978, the Adrian Public Library opened the doors to its new home.
In 1987 the Bank of Lenawee gave the City the property directly behind the library to be developed into a park, which is now called Library Square. Funding for the park came from the Fee Estate.
In 1990 the library received a matching LSCA grant to renovate the lower level of the library into storage area and a meeting/gallery room.
Jule Fosbender retired in the spring of 2006 after thirty two years of dedicated service. Carol Souchock became the director of the Adrian Public Library in November of 2006.
In May of 2007 it was discovered that the building had sustained severe structural damage due to previously unnoticed water damage. This resulted in an emergency closing of the front doors when the city engineer determined that the façade was in danger of falling off the building. Future investigation determined that an underground river was located below the elevator pit and extensive water damage was found on all four sides of the building’s exterior walls.
The City of Adrian, and the community, stepped up to the challenge of repairing the library. Mayor Gary McDowell stated that the city would consider this an opportunity rather than a disaster. After a $1.4 million unplanned and unbudgeted two and half year renovation project the “new” Adrian Public Library reopened in October of 2009. All four sides of the building’s façade had been replaced along with extensive heating, cooling and ventilation work. A new café, Teen Zone, and Loft with casual and study seating were installed along the south side of the library as part of the city complex construction project.
At this time the City of Adrian also relocated their city hall immediately to the west of the library in the 100 year old former Bank of Lenawee building. A new police station was constructed immediately to the east of the library. The 100 year old United States Post Office building east of the Police Station was renovated into a magnificent City Chambers building. J.E. Johnson, from Midland, was the general contractor for the city complex project which utilized over 40 local firms.
We look back with pride at the history of the Adrian Public Library and look forward to the future. As we respond to the changing needs of our community, and utilize technology opportunities, the Library will continue to grow and change.